Wednesday, March 26, 2008

what is the worst movie ever?

An interesting article on a fun exercise, but I have two issues with it:

1. the qualifications upon which he insists are virtually impossible. How can a movie both start with the promise of not being awful and have a terrible reputation that precedes it... and live up to that reputation?

2. The writer's choice for Worst. Movie. Ever., the 1980 "anti-western" Heaven's Gate, may have offended the sensibilities of the fine hosers at the Toronto Film Festival, but it then moved on to Cannes... where it was nominated for the Palm d'Or. I'm not saying it's not a terrible movie (I haven't seen it so I don't know), but it sounds like it only did so much damage because it was so horrendously expensive. Plus, the director's cut received better reviews.

I'm having a hard time with a pick of my own, however. I've typically tried to avoid the worst of the worst, so I'm in no position to decide if Caligula or Battlefield Earth or Gigli is the worst ever. I did see Summer of Sam, which to this day is the only movie I've walked out of, and I also saw the third The Prophecy movie which was significantly worse than that. I never saw it, but I remember Leatherface being heralded by a reputation for suckitude so profound that our local Austin news station actually did a mocking report on it, though perhaps that was also because it's a sequel to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies.

No comments: